vendredi 14 mai 2010

American things in Paris

Amongst all of the French things, sights, smells, and language; I was able to sneak in a few tributes to America-

Canada vs. USA: Olympic Hockey Game

For the final Olympic hockey game, my friend and I pushed our way into a famous Canadian bar, The Moose to watch Canada and US battle it out on the ice. It was my first packed sports bar experience and first taste of hockey since I had left my Terrier boys in Boston. My friend and I were so excited to hear English chants and cheers- until we realized that we were surrounded by Canadian hockey fans! We meet some friendly French fans- rooting for the “OO S A” but I felt more outnumbered than I do as an English-speaker in France! The game was intense, the crowd and a lot of fun-- loud, and the beer was good. Unfortunately Team USA was trying to catch up most of the game and didn’t come out with gold medal, but it was worth being a proud American fan IN a Canadian bar IN France.


St. Patrick's Day


It’s funny when a holiday like, St. Patricks day rolls around and you’re stuck with a cross cultural dilemma. In Boston- it’s an all out Irish Fest. At home it’s a meal of corn beef and cabbage. But what do you do in France? Do I go to Ireland to celebrate? (Oh yes, Ireland. Why not? I’m already in Europe) Or completely ignore it because hardly anyone is French/Irish? No- you do what any American would do in France- find an Irish pub, filled with other Americans and seek out green beer. I ended up somewhere in the middle- packed in BU’s favorite local bar with most of the program, drinking regular beer, and wearing everything green in my wardrobe. It seemed perfectly logical for all the Americans in the bar, but the French bartenders seemed completely confused as to why it was so crowded on a random Wednesday night and why everyone wanted green syrup in their beer.

Cupcakes

In a land of perfect pastries- I thought that it was weird that I was craving cupcakes- all the time! I became obsessed with pretty, yummy, decorated cupcakes. Cupcakes are not an easy dessert to find in Paris and most of the shops are run by American or Canadian pastry chefs- but I was able to stumble across a few:

Berko
23 rue Rambateau 75004 (near Centre Pompideau)
http://www.cupcakesberko.com/
*I had two amazingly, delicious- and American cupcakes: chocolate health bar crunch and chocolate peanut butter m&m. They also sell cheesecake by the slice- if you’re missing New York desserts.

Cupcakes and co.
25 rue dela forge royale 75011 (near Bastille)
http://cupcakesandco.fr/
*I had Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing- a little less cupcake and a little more “tiny” cake, but so moist and decadent.

Cupcakes places are popping up all over Paris now but will they ever be regarded as highly as the croissant?! Probably not.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire