mercredi 5 mai 2010

Croissant au beurre/Pain au chocolat


I have been holding out on buying a pain au chocolat (basically a chocolate filled croissant) in fear of becoming addicted to their soft, flaky, buttery texture. But after 10 weeks and after reading one too many food blogs, my willpower collapsed and I walked across the street to the Boulangerie to pick one pastry up- which turned into two. Since the pain au choclat was 1.05 Euro, I thought that I’d make it an even 2Euro with a croissant au beurre, this was breakfast after all- the most important meal of the day. Pastries gourmands agree that croissants are only truly fresh if eaten before 11am, so luckily I was in time for that mark. Next, they say skip the croissant natur since it can be dry and splurge for the butter topped one. So with the rules in mind, 2 Euro in hand, I made it to the boulangerie. BUT before I could even cross the street back to my apartment, I took a huge bite of the croissant au beurre and I literally melted on the sidewalk. The croissant was the most amazing pastry that I’ve had so far in France! The extra butter (and I think a little sugar) created a crunchy, delicious crunch to the outside of the croissant. Of course the middle was perfectly flakey and chewy. On a scale of 1-10; probably a 50. Next I bit into the pain au chocolat, expecting to be transported back to my high school exchange trip here where we were so addicted that we hoarded them in our bags at breakfast. Eh- it was good but the croissant made such an amazing first impression on my tongue that the pain au chocolat tasted like filler.

So- luckily, I’m not addicted to pain au chocolats and I won’t come home with them stuffed into my pockets- but I can’t really say the same about croissant au beurres!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire