lundi 3 mai 2010

Bien Couru

Paris is known for it's five-star restaurants, amazing hotels, and fashion, fashion, fashion- but not it's five-star gyms. Parisians DON'T exercise. They smoke, drink, and eat- all in moderation- and they walk, a lot. But I'm a gym-buff, exercise junkie to to core and throwing my sneakers out of the airplane window for 4 months just wasn't an option. One friend warned me that she signed up for a gym on her Paris summer program and it was a disaster. Smelly, sweaty, and spandex. Another friend who had done the Paris program told me that she just ran outside, because the climate was much less harsh than in Boston. She gave me some warning too, though:

Notice these are Parisian rules to exercise;I, the American, broke every single one.

Parisian Running Etiquette

Sidewalks are not for runners.
Sidewalks have lanes for bikers, but the rest of the sidewalk is a free-for-all. First, cafe seating or markets. Next, extra parking. Third, walkers at their own pace. Fourth, dogs. I dodged as many of these obstacles as possible- but I was always being yelled at in the end.

Streets are not for runners.

J-walking doesn't exist in French. No one does it. No one goes in the street unless they are crossing in a crosswalk. Had a few close calls there too.

Parks are for runners!
...after 10am and before 7pm. I worked 9:30-6:30.

Parisian shuffle.
They don't exactly pick up their feet- I don't understand it at all but since I would run around the International Dorms park, you could easily pick out Parisians (shufflers) and Americans (full blown horse legged runners).

Fashion for Runners (c'est Paris)

No t-shirts!

I stuck to this one!! I had my classy outdoor running gear.

Converse are sneakers.

No wonder no one runs here! They wear converse to run- I get shin splits just thinking about it.

No sneakers, unless you are actively running.
As for real sneakers, if you are caught dead in sneakers/trainers/whatever- you might as well be wearing a neon hat the says "I'm a Tourist". But I am a tourist- and if I'm walking around for 6 hours- you'd better bet that I'm breaking out the sneakers.

Squishy pants or shorts and high socks- acceptable.

Apparently good fashion doesn't apply to runners. I didn't even know that they still sold some of the "gym attire" that I saw in the parks. Vintage, maybe?

NO SWEATING!

You can run, but you can't sweat. It's pretty fascinating to watch people run, come to a complete halt at the park exit, brush their fingers through their hair and continue walking home- as if they never ran. Me- my host mom used to ask "Bien Couru?" and then giggle and tell me that my face was red like an apple.

Overall- I successful ran about 3-4 times a week, outside. I ran in rain, wind, and sunshine. I dragged myself out in the mornings or after work, whether it was cold or warm. I never went inside a gym, or a yoga studio (unfortunately). I was chased a few times but always ran faster than the dog or person. I also found a free podcast on iTunes, that I practiced 1-2 a week.

So gym-guru survives Paris- still in shape, but in desperate need of some weight training.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire